CLVS General information
CLVS certification process
|1. CLVS Education
1. Mandatory Certification
2. Hands-on Training - April 5 (Registration March 1-22)
|2. CLVS Production examination
||April 5 & 6 (Registration March 1-22)
3. CLVS WKT
||Test at your closest
Pearson Vue center
The CLVS Education piece must be taken before the production exam or the WKT. Steps 2 (Production Exam) and 3 (WKT) may be taken in any order.
Maintaining your CLVS certification
As an CLVS, you'll participate in NCRA's continuing education program.
- As a CLVS, you will participate in NCRA's continuing education program. CLVSs are required to earn 1.0 Continuing Education Unit (CEU), the equivalent of 10 hours of approved seminar time, per three-year CEU cycle. CLVS may earn .25 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) towards the 1.0 CEUs required for their cycle.
- CLVS certification is maintained with the one of the following annual renewals:
CLVS Exam retention policy
Once an attendee has completed the CLVS Education, he or she has three years from the date of completion to fulfill all other requirements (CLVS Written Knowledge Test and CLVS Production Exam). If the other requirements are not completed within three years then the education component would need to be taken again.
CLVS Written Knowledge Test and CLVS Production exam
Candidates must pass both the CLVS Written Knowledge Test and the CLVS Production Exam in any order to become certified. Once a CLVS candidate has successfully completed either exam with a passing score, that score will remain valid for three years from the date of the exam. Should three years elapse from the date of the first exam without the candidate successfully completing the other exam with a passing score and thereby becoming certified, the first exam score will become invalid.
CLVS renewal information
The CLVS renewal deadline is December 31, 2018
All CLVSs must maintain either continuous membership or annual payment of CLVS fees in order to maintain their certifications. Each CLVS must also earn and submit 1.0 CEU during the three-year certification cycle. Please check your cycle transcript to view your continuing education record for this cycle.
The renewal structure is as follows:
- CLVS nonmembers and retired members: Fill out the CLVS nonmember renewal form.
- Associate members: Your CLVS renewal is included in your annual membership dues of $160.
- Registered and participating members: Your CLVS renewal is included in your annual membership dues of $270.00.
Please note that only NCRA members are listed in the NCRA Sourcebook, both online and in print. Learn more about CLVS Member benefits
How to renew
- Mail: NCRA, Attn: CLVS Renewal, 12030 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 400, Reston, VA, 20191
- Fax : 703-391-0629
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 800-272-6272. You do not need your renewal form to renew over the phone. A Member Services and Information Center Specialist will be happy to assist you. NCRA hours are 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday
If you have any questions about your renewal, please do not hesitate to contact us at 800-272-6272 or by email.
CLVS Code of Ethics
The mandatory Code of Professional Ethics for Certified Legal Video Services (CLVS) defines the ethical relationship the public, the bench, and the bar have a right to expect from a CLVS Member. The Code sets out the conduct of the CLVS Member when dealing with the user of video services and acquaints the user, as well as the Member, with guidelines established for professional behavior. By complying with the CLVS Code of Professional Ethics, CLVS Members maintain their profession at the highest level.
A CLVS Member must also adhere to the voluntary Principles for Professional Practice when providing legal video services as well as all local, state and federal rules and statutes.
CLVS Code of Professional Ethics
A CLVS member shall:
- Render services to all parties in a competent manner. A CLVS shall maintain the integrity of the legal video profession.
- Perform all tasks in a professional manner, observing all laws, rules and orders of the court relating to the proceedings.
- Refrain from performing any service under terms or conditions that will compromise, in any way, his or her impartiality or the exercise of good judgment. A CLVS shall not adversely affect the fair and impartial portrayal of the proceeding.
- Refrain from doing anything that affects the impartiality of the CLVS.
- Absent the consent of the parties concerned or a court order, a CLVS shall not reveal confidential information entrusted in or provided to such CLVS by any of the parties.
- Be truthful and accurate when making public statements or when advertising the CLVS' qualifications or the services provided.
- Determine fees independently, except when established by statute or court order, entering into no unlawful agreements with others on the fees to any user.
- Refrain from giving, directly or indirectly, any gift or anything of value to attorneys or their staff, other clients or their staff, or any other persons or entities associated with any litigation, which exceeds $150 in the aggregate per recipient each year. Nothing offered in exchange for future work is permissible, regardless of its value. Pro bono services as defined by the NCRA Guidelines for Professional Practice or by applicable state and local laws, rules and regulations are permissible in any amount.
CLVS code of ethics flyer
CLVS standards for video depositions
Here are the 62 standards for legal video depositions as set forth by the Certified Legal Video Specialist (CLVS) Council of the National Court Reporters Association.
CLVS standards for video depositions
CLVS Written Knowledge Test
The Written Knowledge Test (WKT) is a 115*-question, multiple-choice test that focuses on the areas that come from the CLVS Job Analysis:
- Pre-production (19%)
- Production (39%)
- Post production (28%)
- Professional practices (14%)
You must pass with a scaled score of 70 or better.
This exam will stay on your record for three years. If you have not taken your Production Test within three years of the WKT, you must retake the exam.
IMPORTANT: Before you register for the Written Knowledge Test, please make sure that your FIRST and LAST names on your picture ID are exactly the same as your NCRA record. You will not be able to enter the testing center if the names don't match (They do not check middle names).
You will receive an email with instructions on how to schedule your test with Pearson Vue within three business days of your registration. Please do not attempt to schedule before receiving the email. If you do not receive the email within three business days, please contact us.
Written Knowledge Test schedule
- January 9-22, 2019 (Registration opens December 1-31, 2018)
- April 9-23, 2019 (Registration opens March 1-31, 2019)
- July 9-23, 2019 (Registration opens June 1-30, 2019)
- October 8-22, 2019 (Registration opens September 1-30, 2019)
CLVS Production Exam
The production exam is administered two times a year: spring and fall (depending on interest). Please contact NCRA by calling 800-272-NCRA (6272) for more information, or contact the CLVS Staff. During this exam you'll run the show at a staged deposition and be graded on your ability to follow video deposition guidelines and produce a usable, high-quality video of the deposition. When your passing grade is confirmed, and you have passed the written knowledge test, you have earned your CLVS. This exam will stay on your record for 3 years. If you have not taken your WKT within three years of the production exam, you must retake the exam.
Those who already hold another NCRA certification will earn 0.5 CEUs after passing both the Written Knowledge Test and the Production Exam.
Production Exam schedule
April 5 & 6 (Registration March 1-22)
NCRA Headquarters (12030 Sunrise Valley Dr. #400, Reston, VA 20191)
- Member: $325
- Nonmember: $425
Test candidates in June may use the NCRA corporate rate at the Dulles Crowne Plaza hotel. The corporate rate also includes breakfast. The hotel provides free shuttle to/from the airport. Free shuttle is also provided from the hotel to NCRA office during rush hours. Please check with the hotel on the shuttle schedule.