Part-time Court Reporter Northern District of NYSyracuse, New York
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, NORTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
Vacancy Announcement # 18-DC-01
Position: Official Court Reporter Opening Date: October 11, 2017
Location: Syracuse, New York Closing Date: Open Until Filled; Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with preference given to those received by October 25, 2017.
STATUS: Part-Time Up to 20 hrs per week. (Salary listed below will be pro-rated based on the number of hours worked.)
SALARY: Level 1: $76,961 plus transcript fees.
Level 2: $80,809 plus transcript fees. Requires merit certification.
Level 3: $84,658 plus transcript fees. Requires real-time certification.
Level 4: $88,505 plus transcript fees. Requires real-time certification and merit certifications.
The United States District Court for the District of New York is seeking qualified applicants for the position of part-time Official Court Reporter. Court Reporters are employed en banc. The incumbent performs court reporting services for all judicial proceedings and produces transcripts.
Travel may also be necessary within the Northern District to record testimony. This position reports to the Clerk of Court or designee.
Duties include, but are not limited, to the following:
• Attend and record verbatim by shorthand or mechanical means court sessions; read back portions of court record as required.
• Provide transcripts within the time and cost limitations set by the Judicial Conference;
electronically file with Clerk of Court a copy of all transcripts prepared concurrently with delivery to the requesting parties.
• Provide transcripts to the court upon request, without charge, of all arraignments, pleas, and proceedings in connection with imposition of sentence in criminal cases.
• Promptly certify and file all original shorthand notes and other original records of proceedings.
• Perform such administrative duties as required, such as billing for transcripts, financial and other record keeping, preparation and filing of required Administrative Office reports, and
responding to official correspondence and telephone calls.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Possess a minimum requirement of at least four years of prime court reporter experience in the freelance field or in other courts, or a combination thereof, and have qualified by testing for listing on the registry of professional reporters of the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) or passed an equivalent qualifying examination. Realtime certification will be required. Knowledge of and experience with computer assisted transcription (CAT). Must provide own CAT system with realtime capability.
Self-starter, mature, highly organized; possess tact, good judgment, poise, and initiative; maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times. Strong team orientation and customer
service skills. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• A minimum of 10 paid holidays per year
• Paid vacation leave (pro-rated based on hours worked)
• Paid sick leave (pro-rated based on hours worked)
• Retirement benefits
• Optional participation in the Thrift Savings Plan (401K)
• Optional participation in the Federal Employees’ Health Benefits (premium pro-rated based on hours worked)
• Optional participation in the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance
• Optional participation in the Federal Dental and Vision Plans
• Optional participation in the Flexible Spending Program
• Optional participation in the Long-Term Care Insurance
• Optional participation in private Long-Term Disability Plan
• Credit for prior government service
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, current resume (including Court Reporter software used), and a photocopy of professional certifications to:
United States District Court
100 S. Clinton Street
Syracuse, NY 13261
Attn: Lisa Hackley, Administrative Analyst
Or via email to: email@example.com. Facsimiles also accepted at 315-234-8549.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Applicants who are non-United States citizens must meet the requirements for federal employment. The selected candidate will be subject to an FBI background check. All appointments are provisional upon a favorable suitability determination. Employees are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct for Judicial Employees, which is available to applicants upon request. Employees of the United States District Court are Excepted Service Appointments. Excepted Appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the Court. Electronic direct deposit of salary payments is mandatory.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Participation in the interview process will be at the applicant’s own expense. The Court will not pay for relocation expenses, and reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement; to withdraw the job announcement or to fill the position earlier than the closing date. Any of which may occur without prior written notice. The Court provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please notify human resources. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis. The Northern District of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer.