OA/Administrative Hearing Commission Seeks Court ReporterJefferson city, Missouri
Position: Court Reporter II
Salary: $1,654.50 - $2,355.00 semi-monthly, salary commensurate with qualifications.
Benefits: Position receives State benefits including health care, retirement, and vacation
Location: Jefferson City - Cole County
Application Deadline: June 8, 2017
This description may not include all of the duties, knowledge, skills, or abilities associated with this classification.
• Reviews cases and decides on proper methods of handling and processing, including reporting, transcribing and reproducing.
• Plans and coordinates reporting and transcribing of formal administrative hearings.
• Takes verbatim notes of testimony in administrative proceedings using a stenotype machine and a tape recorder.
• Marks for identification purposes any exhibits introduced as evidence; maintains exhibits in a secure place; incorporates exhibits into case papers.
• Utilizes a computer-aided transcription system in preparation of the verbatim record.
• Suggests changes and improvements to procedures; orders and maintains equipment and supplies; performs related office tasks.
• Maintains statistics and records concerning hearings and transcript production.
• Performs other related work as assigned.
Work hours Monday through Friday 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of courtroom procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of Missouri Supreme Court rules on preparation of transcripts.
• Considerable knowledge of office management and record-keeping procedures.
• Considerable knowledge of legal terminology, medical terminology, grammatical construction, punctuation and spelling.
• Ability to take verbatim courtroom testimony with 95 percent accuracy at speeds varying between 180 and 225 words per minute.
• Ability to work under courtroom pressure for long periods of time without rest.
• Ability to fully utilize a computer-aided transcription system.
• Ability to travel as necessary to cover hearings.
Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
(The following minimum qualifications will determine merit system eligibility. Allowable experience and education substitutions are provided in italics below the corresponding minimum qualification statement. These minimum qualifications may also be used to evaluate applicants for Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System positions not requiring selection from merit registers.)
Two years of experience taking verbatim notes at hearings, using a stenotype machine and tape-recording system, and transcribing the hearing notes using computer-aided transcription equipment; and successful completion of an accredited two-year course in court reporting.
Certification as a Certified Court Reporter by the Missouri Board of Certified Court Reporter Examiners.
Certification as a Certified Shorthand Reporter by the Missouri Court Reporters Association.
Certification as a Registered Professional Reporter by the National Court Reporters Association.
Applicants should submit an introductory cover letter, resume & transcripts to:
Bob Wiles, Human Resources Service Center
P.O. Box 809
301 W. High St. Suite 430
Jefferson City, MO 65102
If desirable, applicants can email the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Administration is an Equal Opportunity Employer