US District Court of Maryland Seeks Court ReporterMaryland
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
DISTRICT OF MARYLAND
POSITION: Official Court Reporter
DUTY STATION: Greenbelt, Maryland
(with occasional travel to other locations in the District)
Level 1: $79,846 (starting salary), plus transcript fees
Level 2: $83,839 (starting salary + 5%), plus transcript fees
Requires merit certification
Level 3: $87,831 (starting salary + 10%), plus transcript fees
Requires real-time certification
Level 4: $91,823 (starting salary + 15%), plus transcript fees
Requires real-time certification and merit certifications
The United States District Court for the District of Maryland is seeking qualified applicants for the position of full-time Official Court Reporter. Court Reporters are employed en banc. The incumbent performs court reporting services for all judicial proceedings and produces transcripts.
Duties include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Attend and record verbatim by shorthand or mechanical means court sessions; read back portions of court record as required.
- Provide transcripts within the time and cost limitations set by the Judicial Conference; electronically file with Clerk of Court a copy of all transcripts prepared concurrently with delivery to the requesting parties.
- Provide transcripts to the court upon request, without charge, of all arraignments, pleas, and proceedings in connection with imposition of sentence in criminal cases.
- Promptly certify and file all original shorthand notes and other original records of proceedings.
- Perform such administrative duties as required, such as billing for transcripts, financial and other record keeping, preparation and filing of required Administrative Office reports, and responding to official correspondence and telephone calls.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Possess a minimum requirement of at least four years of prime court reporter experience in the freelance field or in other courts, or a combination thereof, and have qualified by testing for listing on the registry of professional reporters of the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) or passed an equivalent qualifying examination. Merit certification and realtime certification preferred. Knowledge of and experience with computer assisted transcription (CAT). Must provide own CAT system with realtime capability.
- Self-starter, mature, highly organized; possess tact, good judgment, poise, and initiative; maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times. Strong team orientation and customer service skills. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
How to apply: Submit resume, salary history, and cover letter via email to: jobs @mdd.uscourts.gov
This position is Open Until Filled and will close without notice.
Due to the volume of applications received, the Court will only communicate with those individuals invited for an interview.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or eligible to work in the United States. Successful candidate for this position is subject to a full fingerprint and background records check, a six-month probationary period, and mandatory electronic direct deposit of salary payment. The United States District Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applications will be reviewed to identify the best qualified candidates.